- On December 21, 2016
NiteLites of Columbus Outdoor Lights breaks down the money saving pre-construction tips for new home builds.
If you are anticipating the construction of a new home, there are certain things you plan to incorporate right from the start: a pool, a patio, a stairway, a garden and so on. You could save money in the long run by just taking some things into consideration before the actual construction of your home. A great example comes from NiteLites of Columbus Outdoor Lights on tips for pre-construction ideas to save you money while installing an outdoor lighting system.
- Request that your builder place 1 ½ inch or longer conduit under driveways and walkways. The pavement should be marked with a narrow groove on each side and the homeowner should have a drawing where the conduit locations are measured from a fixed reference such as the curb or garage wall. If possible, place 2 conduits so you can use one for a sprinkler system that may be installed in the future.
- Have new landscaping planned and planted at least 24 inches off of your foundation. Plants, shrubs, and bushes grow and accent a property best when they are given adequate space to flourish. This will also leave adequate space for lines to run for your outdoor lighting system.
- Install electrical outlets in all locations where lighting transformers will be needed. Be sure to have spare outlets for holiday lighting as well.
- Be sure to have in-use weatherproof covers installed on all outside outlets. In-use covers have a bubble cover that keeps the outlet dry even when items are plugged in.
- Request that your electrician install each exterior outlet on a dedicated breaker and that each breaker is clearly labeled.
- Start communication with NiteLites early in the building process. This is much less expensive as part of the initial building project than adding them after the construction is complete. You can even email a copy of your house plans to us so we can recommend the best locations to add outlets.
To maximize money saving efforts you can also consider energy saving outdoor LEDs for your outdoor lights system. Now that LEDs have become the standard, the prices of high-tech versatile LEDs are lower than in years past. These LEDs render the same, if not better color temperatures than their halogen counterpart. The warm soft glow of these energy sippers leaves homeowners feeling great about the money saving options they have chosen as well as the smaller carbon footprint they will leave behind.
For more information on NiteLites of Columbus Outdoor Lights Service call 614-442-1145 or submit a request for a free lighting consultation online. In Ohio, NiteLites has lighting franchises in Dayton, Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.