NiteLites of Houston LED Lights knows how saving energy benefits people and the environment. They encourage people to follow a few simple steps along with being creative when it comes to saving energy. Almost all of the energy supplied to our homes comes from burning fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources. These include gas and coal which tend to less environmentally friendly than the renewable sources. Ideally, we could all switch to renewable energy that includes solar, wind and wave energy. Since everyone switching over is not only impossible but also monetarily impractical, here are a few ways to save energy both indoors and out.
Ways to save indoor energy
- Turn down the thermostat. Turning it down juts 1 degree can reduce your energy consumption by over 5%.
- Decrease the hot water temperature. Hot water thermostats do not need to be any higher than 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Any higher than that then it is just simply cold water mixing to cool it down.
- Prevent drafts and energy leaks by sealing doors and windows. Install door sweeps at the bottom of your front and back doors to keep heat from escaping. Reseal old caulk with a fresh seal.
- Turn off appliances and lighting. By simply switching off lights in rooms you are not longer in and unplugging unused appliances, you could save a lot of energy.
- Switch to energy efficient light bulbs.
- Replace water heater with a tankless water heater.
- Replace furnace air filters often.
- Install low-flow toilets and showerheads. Toilets consume up to 40% of a home’s average water use.
- Insulate walls and attic. Blown-in foam insulation can be a very cost-effective way to seal walls and attics.
Another way to save on outdoor energy
Line voltage outdoor lighting systems can take up a lot of energy. Our energy efficient LEDs are up to 75% more efficient than halogen lamps. They also have an extremely long life span of up to 30,000-40,000 hours. The energy savings are instant. Our outdoor LEDs contain no hazardous materials such as lead or mercury and save money and waste by lowering the number of replacement bulbs. Residential and commercial properties alike can be installed or retrofitted with an excellent alternative energy lighting system.
Our Houston licensed technicians also help commercial properties to save money by replacing expensive high voltage lighting systems with energy efficient LED systems. They work in conjunction with Blue Star and HOAs to create security and safety with green-friendly products.
Commercial Outdoor lighting systems provide safety, security and increased curb appeal. These outdoor lights also increase property and resale value and extend the hours in which one may enjoy the outdoors. The experience can be enhanced further with the added benefits of low voltage LED lighting.
According to EnergyStar.gov the typical household spends $2,100 each year to heat, cool, and illuminate their homes. Reducing energy and the bills associated does not have to be expensive or difficult. By making a few smart changes, you could see a big impact on your energy consumption and your bills.